The Environment Sub-Committee deals with all the matters pertaining to the enforcement of energy norms such as energy-efficiency, emission-intensity, and safety and waste recycling among others. It works towards strengthening the self-regulatory monitoring mechanism for effective policy compliance in CPCB.Total of three Sub-Committee meetngs were held in 2017-18 with a major focus on
(A) Finalising and sending the comments on the Draft Environment Guidelines for Steel Industry.
(B) Clarity on implementation of Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems (CEMS)
(C) Discussing the way forward on the legality of ECSR commitments of the industry
(D) Timeline for installing FGD in captive power plants and
(E) Use of pet coke by the steel industry
The Members of the Sub-Committee include:
- Mr. S. M. R. Prasad, JSW Steel Ltd.
- Dr J. K. Soni is the Chairperson of the Environment Sub Committee
- Dr. Anil Jain, Essar Steel Ltd.
- Mr. Ankan Mitra, Tata Steel Ltd.
- Mr. John Christopher. J, Arjas Steel Private Ltd.
- Mr. B N Sharma, OMPL
- Mr. Sunil Singal/Ms. Rakhi Sen, SAIL
- Mr. Pawan Damani,Monnet Ispat & Energy Ltd.
- Mr. P. Balachandra Rao, RINL
- Mr. Amal Ghosh, Tata Steel BSL Ltd
Convened by Mr. Arnab Kumar Hazra, Assistant Secretary General, Indian Steel, the Sub- Committee was formed in February 2016 and meets several times in a year.